The University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS) offers 146 Doctoral programs to international students through 15 UCAS schools and 113 institutes of Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS). For detailed information about disciplines, CAS institutes and UCAS faculties, please visit the UCAS website at http://english.ucas.ac.cn/.
Doctoral programs commonly last for 3 years. Certificates of graduation and degrees will be awarded to those who have met the requirements of graduation and degree conferment.
2. Application Guidance
2.1 Qualifications of Applicants
(1) Non-Chinese citizens;
(2) Healthy and willing to abide by the Chinese laws and decrees;
(3) Holding a Master’s degree or its equivalent;
(4) English proficiency is required.
2.2 Documents Submission
(1) ADMISSION APPLICATION FORM FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: Download the attachment and fill in the form with a 2-inch photo and applicant’s signature. The supervisor’s comment page should be filled in by the applicant’s supervisor and institute/school.
For those who a. have already got financial support, please attach the certificate of financial support; b. are applying scholarship programs to UCAS, please attach separate scholarship application form(s); c. apply to study by self-support, please attach the affidavit of support from the guarantors and a bank statement (original document or notarized copy).
(2) Photocopy of passport (at least 2 years validity) personal information page.
(3) Original notarized photocopy of Master’s and Bachelor’s degree certificate. (Those who have not graduated yet shall offer a proof of education and expected graduation time in their current academic institution).
(4) Original transcripts or original notarized photocopy of graduate and undergraduate studies transcripts.
(5) Two academic recommendation letters from scholars or professors who work in the relevant research field with the applicant (must be on the letterhead paper, with the referee’s signature and date, and be sealed). The referee should not be the expected supervisor.
(6) CV and research proposal
(7) Photocopies of all the title pages and abstracts of maximum 5 representative published academic papers. Do not submit the photocopies of unpublished papers.
(8) Bank Receipt of Application Processing Fee: RMB 600 or USD, EUR equivalent.
For applicants outside mainland China, payments shall be made in US dollars or Euros in the form of a personal check or money order or travelers check attached to the application form, payable to UCAS. For applicants currently in mainland China, payments shall be made in Chinese currency by remitting money directly to the following bank account (Please specify that the remittance is for the application fee):
Beneficiary: University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
Account number: 11001059200053002790
Bank: Construction Bank of China
Beijing Municipal Dongfang Guangchang Branch
Applicants may also submit the admission fee to UCAS Financial Department.
2.3 Admission Process
(1) Find an Eligible Host Supervisor Affiliated with UCAS Faculties or CAS Institutes
Applicants who are eligible and meet all the eligibility criteria above may contact an eligible supervisor of UCAS faculties or CAS institutes and send the hard/soft copies of their application documents to the supervisor. See http://english.ucas.ac.cn/Admissions for information of supervisors.
(2) Get a Host Supervisor’s Acceptance
The supervisor checks and evaluates the applicant’s academic ability according to the admission regulations of UCAS and/or the institute. Two or three experts might be invited to conduct a video/telephone interview with the applicant. Written examination can be taken if necessary. The supervisor then makes a decision as whether to accept the student by making comments and signing on the supervisor’s comment page in the admission application form and submit all the necessary documents to the institute/faculty (The supervisor’s comment is also needed on the scholarship application form).
(3) Faculty/Institute Approval
The application will be reviewed by the faculty or institute to decide whether to accept the applicants. If approved, the faculty/institute completes the comment page of the admission application form and sends the stamped application form along with all the application documents to UCAS International Students Office.
(4) UCAS Makes the Final Review and Prepares Admission Documents
UCAS prepares the admission and visa application documents for eligible applicants after final review. The final result of evaluation meetings on scholarship applications will be announced once the expert panel makes the decision.
(5) Application Time:
● Doctoral Program for 2016 fall semester:
December 1, 2015– May 30, 2016
● Doctoral Program for 2017 spring semester:
September 1, 2016 – November 30, 2016
3. Visa Application and Admission Registration
UCAS will send Admission Notices and Visa Application forms to the admitted students. The admitted students should bring their personal passport, Admission Notice, Visa Application Form (JW202/ JW201), and original Form of Physical Examination Record for Foreigners as well as other original documents of physical examination to the Embassy or Consulate of the People's Republic of China, and apply for a student visa (X1/X2 visa). Please do not entry China visa-free or with other types of visas other than X visa. Please keep the original Admission Notice and Visa Application Form (JW202/ JW201) which are needed for registration and residence permit application. After entry to China, students should register at the place indicated on the Admission Notice within the required registration period.
4. Fees and Scholarships
4.1 Application Fee, Tuition, and Costs:
(1) RMB 600 or USD, EUR equivalent (Non-refundable);
Liberal Arts: RMB 34,000/year
All Other Disciplines: RMB 40,000/year;
(3) Accidental Injury and Hospitalization Insurance:
RMB 800/year, RMB 400/half year;
(4) Accommodation (shared rooms): RMB 900/month for one student
(5) Outpatient service fee is paid according to the insurance scheme from insurance company.
Board expenses, travel expenses and other costs of experiments, meetings or trainings beyond the program curriculum are at the student’s own expense.
● Chinese Government Scholarship
The Chinese Government Scholarship covers many programs, including Bilateral Program, EU Program, AUN Program, PIF Program, etc., to sponsor international students and scholars to study and research in Chinese universities. The scholarship offers a fee waiver of registration, tuition, health insurance, on-campus dormitory accommodation, etc. Please refer to the website of the China Scholarship Council (http://www.csc.edu.cn/Laihua/) for detailed introduction, qualifications of applicants and admission process.
UCAS is one of the Chinese Government Scholarship universities. Eligible applicants may apply to the China Scholarship Council by recommendation of the related national official departments and Embassy or Consulate of the People's Republic of China. The scholarship usually starts in November and finishes the following April. Due to the different deadlines of countries, please check relevant information in time. The International Students Office of UCAS will offer pre-admission notice if needed.
Applicants may also apply by UCAS recommendation (see http://english.ucas.ac.cn/). But this is only for a small number of excellent international students who are not currently studying in China.
● CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Programme
The program offers full scholarship for 200 international students from all over the world. It provides application and tuition fee waiver and living allowance including health insurance, accommodation, and transportation fee. Please refer to the UCAS website at http://english.ucas.ac.cn/ for detailed information and application procedures.
● UCAS Scholarship for International Students
The UCAS Scholarship for International Students offers full scholarship for international students to pursue doctoral degree at UCAS. It provides tuition fee waiver, health insurance, living allowance and on-campus dormitory accommodation.
Please refer to the UCAS website （http://english.ucas.ac.cn/）for more information.
5. Very Important Note
(1) The applicant cannot apply to more than one institute/school and supervisor;
(2) Please choose the discipline and research field cautiously and submit your application after careful discussion with the expected supervisor. Once admitted, UCAS will not accept any application for the change of discipline or supervisor due to the previous lack of consideration.
(3) All the above supporting documentation should be in English or Chinese, otherwise notarial translations in English or Chinese are required;
(4) Lacking of application documents or unsatisfactory documents will not be accepted and none of the documents will be returned;
(5) Please DO NOT send any of your supporting documentation directly to the International Students Office of UCAS;
(6) Please be noticed the deadlines for scholarship programs and admission application are different. The former is usually earlier than the later one;
(7) One can apply for more than one scholarship programs but once awarded by one of the programs, he/she will lose the qualification for other programs in turn according to the evaluation time;
(8) CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Programme, Chinese Government Scholarship do not require application fee; UCAS Scholarship for International Students Programs requires application fee. Application fee is non-refundable;
(9) Once admitted, students must register on the assigned date on the admission notice. Otherwise, students should apply to UCAS for early or late registration.
6. Contact Information
Coordinator: Mr. Hua Yang
Graduate Education Department
Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics
Chinese Academy of Sciences
457, Zhongshan Road, Dalian, P.R.China