The University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS) accepts international visiting students through 15 UCAS schools and 113 institutes of Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS). For detailed information about disciplines, CAS institutes and UCAS faculties, please visit the UCAS website at http://english.ucas.ac.cn/. The schooling system for visiting students ranges from 1 semester to 2 years. A non-degree certificate of study can be awarded if the visiting student successfully finishes his/her study at UCAS. Official transcripts are also available upon request. Any international student or scholar who is willing to take courses, do research or conduct an academic exchange at UCAS may consult or apply to CAS institutes and UCAS faculties.
2. Application Guidance
2.1 Qualification of Applicants
(1) Non-Chinese citizens;
(2) Healthy and willing to abide by the Chinese laws and decrees;
(3) Education requirements:
● Regular Visiting Students: holding a Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent degree;
● Senior Visiting Students: holding a Master’s degree/Doctoral degree or an equivalent degree;
(4) Language skills requirements:
● For programs offered in Chinese: should pass the new Chinese Proficiency Test (New HSK) band 5−above score 180;
● For programs offered in English: Good command of English.
2.2 Documents Submission
(1) ADMISSION APPLICATION FORM FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: Download the attachment and fill in the form with a 2-inch photo and the applicant’s signature. The second part of the form is for the supervisor and institute.
For those who a. have already got financial support, please attach the certificate of financial support with the admission form; b. are applying scholarship programs to UCAS, please attach separate scholarship application form(s); c. apply to study by self-support, please attach the affidavit of support from the guarantors and a bank statement.
(2) Photocopy of passport (at least 2 years validity) personal information page
(3) Original notarized photocopy of the highest degree certificate
(4) Original transcripts or original notarized photocopy of the highest degree’s transcripts
(5) Two academic recommendation letters from scholars or experts who are familiar with the applicant’s research field (the letter should be sealed and in the writing paper with the title of referee’s institution on the top, referee’s signature, and date).
(6) CV and research proposal
(7) Photocopies of all the title pages and abstracts of maximum 5 representative published academic papers. Do not submit the photocopies of unpublished papers.
(8) Bank Receipt of Application Processing Fee: RMB 450 or USD, EUR equivalent
For applicants outside mainland China, payments must be made in US dollars in the form of a personal check or money order or traveler’s check attached to the application form, payable to UCAS. For applicants currently in mainland China, payments must be made in Chinese currency by sending money directly to the following bank account (Please specify that the money is for the application fee):
Beneficiary: University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
Account number: 11001059200053002790
Bank: Construction Bank of China
Beijing Municipal Dongfang Guangchang Branch
Applicants may also submit the admission fee to the UCAS Financial Department.
2.3 Admission Process
(1) Find an Eligible Host Supervisor Affiliated with UCAS Faculties or CAS Institutes
Applicants who are eligible and meet all the eligibility criteria above may contact an eligible supervisor of UCAS faculties or CAS institutes and send the hard/soft copy of their application documents to the supervisor. See http://english.ucas.ac.cn/Admissions for information of supervisors.
(2) Get a Host Supervisor’s Acceptance
The supervisor checks and evaluates the applicant’s academic ability according to the admission regulations of UCAS and/or the institute. Two or three experts might be invited to conduct a video/telephone interview with the applicant. Written examination can be taken if necessary. The supervisor then makes a decision as whether to accept the student by making comments and signing on the supervisor’s comment page in the admission application form and submit all the necessary documents to the institute/faculty (The supervisor’s comment is also needed on the scholarship application form).
(3) Faculty/Institute Approval
The application will be reviewed by the faculty or institute to decide whether to accept the applicants. If approved, the faculty/institute completes the comment page of the admission application form and sends the stamped application form along with all the application documents to UCAS International Students Office.
(4) UCAS Makes the Final Review and Prepares Admission Documents
UCAS prepares the admission and visa application documents for eligible applicants after final review. The final result of evaluation meetings on scholarship applications will be announced once the expert panel makes the decision.
(5) Application time: the whole year
3. Visa Application and Admission Registration
UCAS will admit excellent students from among the eligible applicants and send an Admission Notice and Visa Application Form (JW202/ JW201) to the admitted students. The admitted students should bring their personal and ordinary passport, Admission Notice, Visa Application Form (JW202/JW201), and original Form of Physical Examination Record for Foreigners as well as other original documents of physical examination to an Embassy or Consulate of the People's Republic of China, and apply for a student visa (X1/X2 visa). Please keep the original Admission Notice and Visa Application Form (JW202/ JW201) which are needed for registration and residence permit application. Please do not entry China visa-free or with other types of visas other than X visa. Students should register in the required place indicated on the Admission Notice within the expected period of registration.
4. Fees and Scholarship
4.1 Application Fee, Tuition, and Other Costs:
(1) RMB450 or USD, EUR equivalent (Non-refundable);
(2) Tuition Regular:
Visiting Student RMB 2,600/month;
Senior Visiting Student RMB 3,000/month;
(3) Accidental Injury and Hospitalization Insurance:
RMB 800/year, RMB 400/half year;
(4) Outpatient service fee is paid according to the insurance scheme from insurance company.
Board expenses, travel expenses and other cost of experiments, meetings or trainings beyond the program curricular is at the student’s own expense.
● Chinese Government Scholarship
The Chinese Government Scholarship supports many programs, including Bilateral Program, Great Wall Program, EU Program, PIF Program, etc., to sponsor international students and scholars to study and research in Chinese universities. The scholarship offers a fee waiver of registration, tuition, health insurance, on-campus dormitory accommodation, etc. Please refer to the website of the China Scholarship Council (http://www.csc.edu.cn/Laihua/) for detailed introduction, qualifications of applicants and admission process.
UCAS is one of the authorized universities for the Chinese Government Scholarship. Eligible applicants may apply to the China Scholarship Council by the recommendation of the related national official departments and Embassy or Consulate of the People's Republic of China. The scholarship usually starts in November and finishes the following April. Due to different deadlines of various countries, please check in advance. The International Students Office of UCAS will offer pre-admission notice if needed.
● UCAS Scholarship for International Students
This scholarship offers talent international students and scholars to have visiting study at UCAS. It provides a fee waiver of tuition and health insurance. Please refer to the UCAS website (http://english.ucas.ac.cn/) for more information.
5. Very Important Note
(1) The applicant cannot apply to more than one institute/school and supervisor;
(2) Please choose the discipline and research field cautiously and submit your application after careful discussion with the expected supervisor. Once admitted, UCAS will not accept any application for the change of discipline or supervisor due to the previous lack of consideration.
(3) All the above supporting documentation should be in English or Chinese, otherwise notarial translations in English or Chinese are required;
(4) Lacking of application documents or unsatisfactory documents will not be accepted and none of the documents will be returned;
(5) Please DO NOT send any of your supporting documentation directly to the International Students Office of UCAS;
(6) Please be noticed the deadlines for scholarship programs and admission application are different. The former is usually earlier than the later one;
(7) Chinese Government Scholarship does not require application fee; UCAS Scholarship for International Students Programs requires application fee. Application fee is non-refundable;
(8) Once admitted, students must register on the assigned date on the admission notice. Otherwise, students should apply to UCAS for early or late registration.
6. Contact Information
Applicants for DICP(Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences), please contact:
Coordinator: Mr. Hua Yang
Graduate Education Department
Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics
Chinese Academy of Sciences
457, Zhongshan Road, Dalian, P.R.China